Should I Buy Copiers or Printers Online? – You Can, But Should You? | Ebay or Craigslist
If that is what you are willing to gamble with, then yes you can buy your next copier or printer online, and you can save a few hundred dollars instantly, but who is going to install it, these copiers and printers don’t like to be shipped too well, damage can happen, and then is your online vendor going to fix it? – Who is going to handle the regular maintenance?, has the equipment been refurbished properly? – The answer to all these question is yes, are ready to risk it?
Saving money by buying online can be the most expensive equipment you ever purchased!
By the way, there is nothing wrong by buying refurbished office equipment, as long as you can put a service contract on the equipment, and knowing that they come with a warranty.
Not having a maintenance contract on your used copier or printer can be a disaster, waiting to happen.
Many of the ebay or craigslist machines you find on these sites, are machines that have been returned from end of lease, to leasing companies, witch there is nothing wrong, the problem is that most of them are just wiped down clean, and put back in the market, and they claim to fully rebuilt or certified refurbished machines.
How can you tell if the machine is worth its price
• I would start by checking the meter readings – All copiers and printers have meters, and some can have higher life span than others, many mid range machines are rated to run 100,000 pages per month, but should be used at no more than 50% of their per month rated capacity – Many sellers might tell you the copier or printer only has 1 million copies, and that means, that has 10 months of use, that is the time to run away! – Talk to us learn more.
• Price is really good – That explains why the equipment is not refurbished, if it is a color machine, many of the drums alone (photoreceptors) can cost as much as $500.00 ea, and newer color printers and copiers have 4 of them, so ask for drums cost.
• Do they offer service contracts? – Only local companies can do this, but if these guys are in your town, they still may not do it, because they are just moving lease returned equipment without a service dept, and are just trying to make a quick buck.
• What is their policy if the equipment fails – Do they replace the equipment or all sales are final?
Consider a Certified Refurbished Copier
Here are three reasons to consider a used copier.
1. Growing pains – If you’re a small business, a refurbished device can provide you more bang for your buck at a lower price than a new copier. As you grow, consider developing a relationship with an office equipment supplier who can provide a plan to continue to match your growing needs with the right equipment.
2. Limited budget – If you’re looking to buy and not lease, a refurbished copier can be bought at a lower price yet still be covered by a maintenance contract (which may not be available if purchased online).
3. Length of service – All equipment has a lifespan, and refurbished equipment will be on the backside of it’s ideal “length of service” in years. However, a smaller business will generally under-use a refurbished copier because you’re able to buy more capability than you need. In the end, the copier can last well beyond its rated lifespan.
Even if you don’t use us, please, for your own sake, do your research and decide what equipment you really need – many businesses over or under buy for their document output needs. If you over-buy, you’re spending money on capabilities that you don’t use or need. If you under-buy, you’ll have frustrated users. One possible solution is Managed Print Service – a fit for small to large businesses.
If you end up buying office equipment online, do your research on the seller. Check that they are:
2. Can service your machine
3. Will handle delivery and set up
If you choose wrong, cheap can end up being expensive when you have to do it all over again.
As always feel free to ask me any copier buying or service question and I’ll do my best to give you a solid answer.